Do you need to view signals in the frequency domain? A digital oscilloscope is probably the best option.
Gone were the days when people were using the old creaky analog oscilloscope, things have changed now and the newer versions have been upgraded to the best digital oscilloscope.
If you have the best automotive oscilloscope, the anticipated resolution is always at your disposal, whether you are attempting to fix on a weak frequency or plot a course through an electrical distortion.
A dedicated automotive oscilloscope can also be referred to as motor-tester, engine analyzer or automotive lab scope.
What is an Automotive Oscilloscope?
Tracing atypical electrical waves on a breaking down equipment will be impossible without an automotive oscilloscope.
Eventually, at some point in your undertaking, you will require only the best oscilloscope in your tool kit, if you are an electrician or somebody who just prefers tinkering on gadgets.
The question then is; how can you know if an oscilloscope is actually the best in its category?
You will get the answer to this crucial question at the latter part of this automotive oscilloscope review.
It is possible for you to adjust oscilloscope for repetitive signals to be experiential as an incessant shape on the screen.
Oscilloscopes are used in the telecommunications, automotive, engineering, medicine, and sciences industry.
The all-purpose oscilloscopes are used to maintain laboratory work and electronic equipment.
On the other hand, you can use the special-purpose types to exhibit the waveform of the heartbeat or for analyzing an automotive ignition system.
Top 5 Automotive Oscilloscope Comparison 2019
|HANTEK 1008C PC USB||8||-|
|HANTEK 1008C 8CH||8||12 bits|
|Hantek 1008C Automotive Diagnostic||8||12 bits|
|PicoScope oscilloscope||2/4||8-bit / 12-bit|
Best Automotive Oscilloscope Reviews 2019
When you are shopping for automotive oscilloscope, the best Oscilloscope reviews will go a long way in helping you make a smart buying decision.
Once you register on HANTEK websites and download the latest driver set V1.0.12, which comprises of the drivers and the installer, it works perfectly well on Windows 10.
Key Features :
- The 8 Channels Oscilloscope: This is the feature designed for testing vehicles
- 8 Channels Programmable Generator: This particular feature is used to analogue the signals of crankshaft camshaft and lots more.
- The USB 2.0 Interface Plug and Play: With this unique feature, you need no other additional power supply.
- The Bus Diagnosis: Is used for examining the signal reliability of the CAN bus LH long time acquirement and LIN bus Performer.
- Budget-friendly: This automotive diagnostic oscilloscope is a budget-friendly product and an exceptional starter scope.
Why Buy HANTEK 1008C PC Digital Oscilloscope
If you are looking for a cost-effective and highly efficient product, this oscilloscope is for you.
In general, the scope is a good value for the accessories and features, unlike the more expensive products in its category.
Furthermore, using the software is no brainer and it works great on automotive engines.
More importantly, its preset feature will allow you get your screen setup for diverse kinds of tests and it looks great when you are not certain about where to set parameters.
HANTEK 1008C 8CH – Best Automotive PC Oscilloscope
Among the different digital oscilloscope, Hantek Automotive Diagnostic Digital Oscilloscope is one of the best.
It is designed with vast new features and capabilities. It is one of the most cost-effective 8 channel oscilloscopes which is effectively used for vehicle testing.
Some key features of this Automotive oscilloscope are:
- 8 channel and Extraordinary Specs: It is an 8-channel oscilloscope that comes with a real-time sampling rate of 2.4MSa/sec with a 12-bit vertical resolution for spectrum analysis. It provides automatic testing functions of more than 20 types which are like interface in benchtop oscilloscopes.
- Multiple Sensor Types: It features a lot of sensors such as the lambda sensor, crankshaft sensor, air flow meter sensor, throttle position sensor, distributor sensor, and camshaft sensor that will make the oscilloscope simple to use.
- DAQ Card Function: This is the feature used for effective wave determination:
- Other Features: Include a Programmable Generator to give better test outcomes and performance. The camshaft analog signals, crankshaft, and so on can easily be observed with this device. It features a play interface and USB 2.0 plug to make sure no additional power supply is required for it.
Why Buy this Hantek 1008C 8CH Automotive Oscilloscope?
HANTEK 1008C is perfect for vehicle testing.
You can also use it for the first diagnosis like the idle exhaust ignition, intake multiple vacuum and ignition, starting exhaust ignition, as well as petrol fumes adjusting valve vacuum and ignition.
It comes with a lot of capabilities and features, making it a powerhouse as far as automobiles are concerned.
You need this device because of its compatibility with several platforms. In other words, it works well with different software such as VISTA, Windows 7, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows NT.
It is a vehicle-specific tool and comes with many features helpful for carrying out numerous kinds of tests.
Key Features :
Some of the key features of this Automotive Digital Oscilloscope are
- Lucrative option for vehicle testing. Although almost every digital oscilloscope shows the ignition waveform in one cylinder, this Automotive Diagnostic Digital Oscilloscope has the potential to show all the cylinders simultaneously.
- It has a good exhaust gas analyzer, preferably an ignition analyzer.
- You can enjoy working with 8 paradigms. It is designed with 8 channel program generator that will enable you to view analog signals of crankshaft, camshaft and few others.
- 2.4MSa/s real-time sampling rate, 12bit vertical resolution
- It has a complete data acquisition system comprises of DAQ hardware, sensors, and actuators with programmable software. This is engineered with DAQ card function, which can measure an electrical or physical phenomenon.
- Fitted with a USB 2.0 interface plug and play which is majorly used for data and power.
Why do you need to buy this product?
- A great cost-effective product for vehicle testing.
- Capable of storing sufficient data to discover an erratic problem
- to visualize the ignition spark process and view the ignition waveform displayed in all the cylinders
- the presence of crankshaft rotation measurement ruler which is very useful for observing of all engine cycles
- MAP Sensors, ABS, Airflow and Lambda
- Primary and Secondary Ignition
- Starter Motors, Alternators, and Batteries
- Fuel Pumps and Injectors
- FlexRay, LIN Bus, and CAN Bus
- Electronic Throttle Control
- Starter and Charging Circuits
The product is the foremost choice for aftermarket garages and vehicle manufacturers alike across the globe.
Key Features :
Quite a lot of new users begin by making use of the guided tests to configure all the settings automatically.
Nevertheless, there are many key features to explore when your experience develops. These key features include:
- The Advanced Digital Triggers: These are distinctive among automotive oscilloscopes. In a situation where there is a very long time gap like when an injector refuses to fire, these trigger modes let you trigger. Moreover, when a sensor signal is out of range, you can set them to trigger and sound an alarm.
- The Hardware Frequency Measurement: The flow sensors and a number of airflow sensors output a digital frequency signal. As a matter of fact, the majority of the available automotive oscilloscopes cannot extort utilizable diagnostic information from this. However, your PicoScope can change it to a conservative analog waveform.
- The ECU Filters: A number of signals are quite noisy when wires in the loom get hold of noise from other wires. This feature is used to filter out this noise. The selectable hardware filters of the PicoScope will get rid of this noise, in order for you to perceive what the ECU perceives.
- The Floating Input Channels: These are exceptional latest technology that allows for safe, reduced-noise measurements even in circumstances where there are none of the inputs grounded. The floating inputs will enable a sole input to carry out voltage drop tests and measurements on non-grounded signals such as hybrid motor drives. The maximum voltage difference allowed between any two-channel grounds is 30 V as far as floating inputs are concerned.
- The Deep Memory Buffer: Frequently setting up the scope to measure from different components and wait for the fault to happen is the best way to diagnose an intermittent fault. You need an oscilloscope that has a deep memory buffer if you want to capture more than a few injector waveforms, ignition, crank, and minutes of the cam. This will allow you to capture for long periods of time after when you can zoom in without any gaps or loss of detail. The deep memory feature lets you carry out long recordings at high speed. Even in the course of searching for intermittent faults, you capture a comprehensive test drive.
- The Connect Detect: It is daunting to make sure you have a good connection to the signal you desire to test. But immediately a good connection is detected with ConnectDetect feature enabled. In this case, lights on the scope and indicators on screen change from red to green.The on-screen icons fade, as soon as a good connection is established, in order not to obscure the waveform. On the other hand, if there is a change in status when vibration makes a probe lose, the icons will draw your attention to the change.
- Crisp, Clear High-resolution Display: This is the feature that lets you notice little changes in signal like ignition coil oscillations and a little dip in current when you open an injector. While a deep waveform memory will provide you with a high time resolution, having a high vertical resolution is also essential.
- Fast Sampling: This is the feature designed for capturing signals faster. Nothing will escape the scrutiny of PicoScope with the sampling rates of about 400 million samples per second.
Why Buy PicoScope Automotive Oscilloscope :
High Performance and Long Working Life:
PicoScope is a must buy because everything about its aspect has been specifically premeditated for a long working life.
It comes with reliable and robust hardware without moving parts or batteries to fail.
You will always find new things to do with Pico Automotive Diagnostic Kit on daily basis. No wonder it is the choice for all specialized diagnostics.
A Multi-purpose Tool:
This product can perform a lot of functions, making it one of the best automotive oscilloscopes on the market today.
For instance, you can use it to determine what is at fault and diagnose.
Also, you can set it for recording for a very long period, which is actually good when you need something to run even as you are doing something else.
Furthermore, it lets you run a large number of samples in a few minutes and spread them out to see what actually happened.
Incredible Level of Detail in the Waveforms:
There is no more guesswork with the level of detail in the waveforms.
All reviews and videos concerning this product, right from how it is operated to customer service are just fantastic.
The kit is absolute and well thought out. Moreover, the computer program, together with its scaling and probe recognition is incomparable.
More importantly, the free updates are indications that you will always have the support of Picoscope, and will have the most up-to-date technology.
You can never go wrong with this best scope on the market for automotive use.
Nevertheless, it can be useful in particular engineering and circuitry circumstances. Moreover, this device can also come handy in measuring seismic activity and even other particular sounds.
Key Features :
- Two Languages: Jinhan JDS2022A Digital Oscilloscope is programmed with two languages and users can switch to the one they are comfortable with.
- Compact and lightweight design: This automotive oscilloscope comes in a compact design. Moreover, it comes in an ultrathin design making it quite lightweight. Altogether, the product is pretty easy to carry around.
- Budget-friendly: Jinhan JDS2022A Digital Oscilloscope is a great product especially when considering the price. You can buy the product without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Other features: Some other key features of Jinhan JDS2022A Digital Oscilloscope include adjustable backlight brightness, long cell life, automatic detect support, a range of display, clear and stable waveform display etc.
Why Buy Jinhan JDS2022A Digital Oscilloscope?
You need Jinhan JDS2022A Oscilloscope because it is portable, making it convenient to be carried from one place to another.
It is very effective when it comes to improving user productivity. In simple words, it is one of the top oscilloscopes to buy at a low budget.
How to Choose the Best Automotive Oscilloscope? What are the Features to Consider?
The first thing while choosing a digital oscilloscope is not by looking at the adverts or scope specifications rather you need to think where will you use and how will you use it?
- Determine the purpose of the oscilloscope, where will you use either at the bench, customer site or under the hood of the car
- How many signals would you require
- Do you need to view the signals both with frequency domain and time domain or either one of them?
Let’s discuss these points in detail.
Choosing best automotive oscilloscope can be a difficult task for a lot of engineers because there are more than a few different models and brands to choose from with widely varying specifications and costs and specifications.
Investing some time ruminating about where and what you want to use the automotive oscilloscope for is the first step to selecting an oscilloscope and not just to search for scope specifications or adverts.
Discussed here are some of the factors you need to look for:
1. Ease of Use
In order to make sure the device is easy to use, a number of scopes provide some memorized setup configurations or single-touch automatic setup.
Downloading the manual of the device from the website of the vendor will provide you with the clue about how sensitive it will be to maneuver the oscilloscope as you concentrate on your circuit under test.
An easy to use automotive oscilloscope can save you a lot of frustration in the long run.
2. The Probes and Input Ranges
Consider a manufacturer that provides a whole set of accessories you can use to extend the application device and input ranges when shopping for an automotive oscilloscope.
10:1 and 20:1 attenuator, current clamps, capacitive and inductive pick-up clamps, AC coupling adapters and lots more are available.
It is of great importance that the input probes should at least equivalent to, if not surpass, the bandwidth of the scope.
3. The Number of Channels
As a matter of fact, automotive oscilloscopes feature a channel, two channels, four channels and up to ten channels.
When thinking of the one to choose, think about the he number of signals to be displayed.
On the other hand, for reading signals from sensors, crankshaft/camshaft correlation, watching thermistor voltage outputs, looking at coil waveforms and injector, as well as looking at throttle position sensor outputs among others, two channels are sufficient.
Automotive oscilloscopes having four separately isolated channels are normally used when dealing with a typical crank no start condition or instantaneous view of the ignition circuit is required.
4. Analogue against Digital Storage Oscilloscopes
Digital Storage Oscilloscopes (DSOs) represent almost all the new oscilloscopes bought nowadays.
In other words, digital storage oscilloscope is the best choice as a lot of users buying oscilloscopes now are changing analogue to digital.
But you have a limited choice if you are tempted to buy the analogue scope.
5. Bandwidth :
This is the utmost frequency of the signal that can pass through the front-end amplifiers.
As a result, the analogue bandwidth of your scope must be superior to the highest frequency that you desire to measure.
Make sure you understand the bandwidth specification you want when you are shopping for an automotive oscilloscope.
The bandwidth should always be five times superior on top of the signal’s utmost frequency that necessitates measuring. This should make certain the waveform’s accurate representation.
6. ISO Certified Vendor
Consider buying your automotive oscilloscope from an ISO accredited vendor to guarantee the quality and reliability of the automotive oscilloscope.
ISO 17025 incorporates an ingredient of suitable skill to the entire concept, despite the fact that there are a lot of resemblances with the former ISO 9001:2008 standard.
For this reason, it is always a smart and good idea to patronize a certified and notable vendor for its quality.
7. PC Interference
Be careful about the interference of your PC. Get ready concerning interference that may occur as a result of power and circuit supply in a situation where a low-level signal analysis is required.
PC components build up electromagnetic noise and they meddle with low-level signals in many cases.
You must keep a process of measurement free of any such interference in order to have a high precision in the course of working with low-level signals.
8. Choose Functional Triggering
Opt for an automotive oscilloscope with functional triggering because it aids in managing the signal display that can be viewed by the bare eye, to make it more snug and precise for viewing.
While shopping for a certain oscilloscope, it is imperative to select the one that offers incredible visibility and wider boundary to ensure a better triggering response.
FAQs about Automotive Oscilloscope
What is a universal oscilloscope?
This is electronic measuring gadget used for observing electrical voltage through time alone.
What is the purpose of oscilloscopes in auto diagnostics?
The purpose of the oscilloscope in auto diagnostics is to assist in locating the problem faster and easier. An automotive oscilloscope is a tool which diagnosis abnormalities in the automobile quicker and easier, with the increase of wiring diagrams, actuators, and sensors, built in the latest automobiles.
What is the difference between a lab scope and a motor tester?
The motor tester is a dedicated oscilloscope used for auto diagnostics. The major difference between a universal oscilloscope and a motor tester is of the fact that the motor tester can visualize short-timed processes such as the ignition spark process. The motor tester reveals all the cylinders at the same time and gives room for detailed observation of the time period.
What are the computer prerequisites for a CarScope program?
The requirements include a computer (a desktop, tablet, netbook or laptop PC) running Microsoft Windows. The operating Systems requirements are Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 8.1 or 10; 32-bit / 64-bit. CarScope program needs less than 200 MB hard disk space.
What is oscilloscope resolution?
Oscilloscope resolution is the capability of an oscilloscope to resolve small voltages.
How can I keep already saved waveforms if I upgraded CarScope program with the latest version?
All you need is to go to the installation folder and back up the Saved Waveforms folder in another place.
Can I use oscilloscope to measure current?
Yes, by making use of extra optional current clamps.
In this article, we reviewed some of the top Automotive Oscilloscopes which you can strongly consider if you are looking to buy a decent automotive oscilloscope that falls within an average budget. To guide you during purchase, we discussed the factors that you must keep in mind to get the best one.
We hope you make the best buy!