Buying the best jeep winch is one of the best investments you can make to offer your SUV a lifeline for the times when things go wrong.
A good winch for the jeep is handy when it comes to moving obstacles out of your way as well.
The type of winch you need differs, depending on a few variables such as the pulling weight and there a number of the factors to guide you towards buying the top winch for the money.
Read this detailed review to have an insight into all these.
Best Jeep Winch comparison table 2019
|Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV||Sealed 1.2 HP permanent magnet||1-Stage planetary||136:1|
|Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35||1.6 hp Motor, 12V DC||3-stage planetary||140:1|
|Smittybilt (98510 X2O Waterproof||6.6hp Series Wound||3-Stage Planetary||218:1|
|Superwinch LT2000 ||1.0 hp (0.8kW) PM motor||Differential planetary||153:1|
|Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch||6.6hp Series Wound.||3-Stage Planetary||161.28:1|
|Superwinch (1140230 Black 12 VDC LT4000ATV SR||Sealed low amperage permanent magnet motor||3-Stage Planetary||166:1|
|X-BULL 12V Steel Cable Electric||4.5KW, Series Wound||3 Stage Planetary||265:1|
|Smittybilt 98495 XRC ||6.6hp Series Wound||3-Stage Planetary||161.28:1|
|Superwinch 1331200 UT3000||1.2 hp (0.9kW) PM Motor||Differential planetary||153:1|
|Offroad Boar Synthetic Rope||-||Three-stage Planetar||-|
Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch – 9500 lbs load capacity is sturdy, long-lasting, tough, and easy to control.
This means that nothing bad will happen to it, even if it is wet.
Look no further than Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch if all you need is a premium waterproof winch built to last a lifetime.
This is a unit that will cater to all your heavy towing and shift solid materials or objects in wet or watery environments.
It is very strong and crafted to take some serious abuse.
It comes with a 6.6 HP motor, as well as a planetary gear system that transforms that horsepower into raw pulling strength.
You need to note that water is a key ingredient in a mud hole. That is the main reason you need a good winch of this magnitude.
This incomparable electric winch has more than three hundred 4 stars and 5 stars reviews on Amazon, making it one of the best selling models on the platform.
More than a few of these users testify regarding how this cheap winch for the jeep(real money saver when putting against the purpose it serves) saved them from muddy and sticky situations.
Read on to know how to Install Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch on Your Jeep Wrangler.
- Loose and remove the negative battery cable of your car from the battery with a 10mm Open End Wrench.
- Use the box knife to cut the outer part of the winch box open and lay it flat for you to use it as a work area in the course of the winch pre-assembling. This is to make you work on a clean, dry surface.
- Bring the winch and the accessories out of the box and lay them on the cardboard you already prepared in step 2 above. Make sure you have all the parts available by checking them against the parts list in the instructions included. This is an opportunity for you to confirm whether the finish on the winch has not been damaged in transit.
- Fasten the control unit brackets to the base of the control unit with the long Allen bolts and Allen key added to the winch. Also, make use of the included plastic spacers in-between the control unit and the bracket. Use your hand to tighten firmly but don’t over-tighten.
- Clip the frontage of the control unit brackets to the frontage top bar of the winch and bring the rear of the control unit down pending when the brackets sit on the back bar of the winch unit. Use two supplied Allen screws and lock washers to protect the back of the brackets, making use of the added Allen wrench.
- Connect the wiring by following the wiring diagram included, harmonizing wire A to terminal A and vice versa. Terminal A makes use of a 13mm open end wrench, while terminal B, C, and D make use of a 14mm Wrench.
- Use dielectric grease to fill each boot before you push the boot over each terminal from the wire. This is to stop water from corroding and infiltrating the electrical connections. Coating this dielectric grease also is recommended as there is no boot for the ground (Terminal A).
- Lift the winch unit up and set it inside your winch bumper or winch plate with the assistance of someone. Line the holes in the mounting plate up in the pedestal of the winch inside the holes located within the base of the winch.
- Put the 4 square nuts that come with the winch in the pedestal of the winch and install the lock washers and winch mounting bolts from the bottom of the bumper, making use of the 16mm socket, ratchet, and socket extension.
- Run the lengthy red and lengthy black wires under the grille and up to the battery carefully. With awareness, tie the wires away from the exhaust, belt-driven engine accessories, and any moving parts in the suspension, making use of the zip ties.
- Use the 10mm open end wrench to slacken the terminal nut located on the positive battery cable end and fix the red wire to the terminal. Use the 10mm wrench to reinstall the nut.
- Hook up the black wire to the detached negative battery cable end with the 10mm open end wrench.
- Use the 10mm open end wrench to re-fix the negative battery cable to the battery and tighten the cable end.
- Set up the winch fairlead located on the frontage of the winch bumper or winch plate with the lock washers, nuts, and bolts included. Use the 18mm ratchet and socket to tighten.
- Take away the rubber band holding the end of the winch cable on the winch.
- Check all the connection and bolts again to ascertain that they are tight.
- When you are using the winch, make sure you follow the instructions included.
Check Out: Here is the guide to choose best android head unit for your car or jeep.
Top 10 Jeep Winches Reviews 2019
Superwinch LT3000ATV offers dependable performance, making it a trusted brand.
Additionally, it serves as a great winch for the casual ATV snowplow application.
It has a strong complete metal 3-stage planetary gear train, and other amazing features that make it great and durable.
Superwinch LT3000 ATV winch consists of an abundance of helpful safety feature standard.
Some of the features are; dynamic and mechanical braking as well as the 100% automatic load holding to reduce the likelihood of wire rope slippage in whenever there is power failure or surge, and also to give fast stopping of the drum.
This is what makes it perfect for vehicle recovery, load hauling, or field dressing game.
It has regular 50 feet 13/64’ steel wire rope that can handle all your winching needs around the farm, on the trail, or when you are on a hunt.
If you are one of the ATV/UTV owners looking for a premium multi-purpose winch that can take care of any job, this is the ideal model for you.
Moreover, it features an entirely waterproof 500 AMP solenoid pack you can mount in 2 different positions, based on your application needs.
The Smittybilt 98510 X 2O Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch is a proper powerhouse as far as the world of Jeep winches is concerned!
With mighty 6.6 HP motor of this best winch for jeep under 500 is bulky enough to pull out a bus full of obese passengers out of a canal!
It is wholly waterproof for further protection. As a result, you don’t have to worry about protecting it from rain and other moist elements.
Check out Smittybilt 98510 X 20 Com Series if you are looking for something more versatile.
Offering unparalleled performance and peace of mind, winch X 20 is covered by Smittybilt Lifeline Warranty.
In addition, it has different terrestrial gearbox and free spooling clutch which offers resourceful pull and turns.
With the handled rubber remote, however, you can operate this winch with safety from a distance.
But there can be momentum in the machine because the pooling segment is not in the middle.
Giving you helping hand or assistance when you are in a serious need is major importance ofSmittybilt 97495.
Read More: Read the review to buy the best automotive oscilloscope.
You may require a winch mount plate kit to mount this winch on your UTV, ATV or Side-by-Side.
The 2 wireless remote controllers of X-BULL 12V Steel Cable Electric Winch is what makes it unique and stand out.
More importantly, the winch comes with a sealed motor for weather protection.
This winch comes with a 6.6 HP wound motor that has the highest torque as far as the winch industry is concerned.
On the other hand, it has synthetic rope cable with shielding sleeve and hammer-forged steel hook, in addition to a rivalry billet aluminum fairlead to shield the rope from unnecessary wear.
It is a full recovery system with the power and trustworthiness to bail you out of any situation.
Special mention required for the Smittybilt 3-year electrical warranty that makes all the difference.
To guarantee high efficiency winching, UT3000 winch powers inside and outside.
It is an easy to handle crane winch that has a full metal disparity terrestrial gear train.
Other features that make this great are the mounting plate, detachable clevis pinned latched hook with rope thimble, 4-way roller fairlead, and circuit breaker protector.
OFFROAD BOAR Stainless Steel Waterproof Winch comes with amazing features including very big 4.6 KW power, Heavy Duty Sealed Contactor, Automatic Load-Holding, Free Spooling Clutch for quick rope pull out, and Heavy Duty 4-way roller fairlead among others.
It is important for you to decide on and compare the winch options available for you. The winch can be electric or hydraulic.
Electric winches are electrically powered by the battery of your Jeep with limited duty cycle.
On the other hand, hydraulic winches are powered by the power steering pump of your Jeep.
Hydraulic winches are merely planetary winches having the hydraulic motor powered by the vehicle power steering pump.
Duty cycle is a major difference. With a hydraulic, you can winch every day, or all day, once the engine is running.
Consider buying hydraulic winch if you do a lot of winching like commercial, ranch or farm use. However, most jeepers subject a winch to an electric for intermittent use more than necessary.
Related Guide: Best ball joints for Jeep JK buyer’s guide and review.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for the Good Winch
As a matter of fact, when it comes to shopping for the best winch, there are many factors to be considered.
Read on to know some of the things you must put into consideration before deciding on a Good winch for the jeep.
Line Pull Rating or Winch Capacity
This is the first important consideration when you are looking for best truck winch worth the money.
It is the mixture of the tensile strength of the line and the mechanical capacity of the winch on the drum.
The general rule is that you should take your Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), not curb weight, and multiply it by 1.5 to determine your preferred Winch capacity.
The Line Length
The longer the drum line, the farther you get to. The first layer establishes the utmost rated pull of the winch.
It implies to obtain the best possible pull; you need to reel a lot of cables.
In addition, it implies that the more lines available in a drum the simpler it will be to growl up, kinked and get jammed.
Winch rope can be synthetic or wire rope. The wire rope aka traditional cord has strands of steel wire and carbon.
As a rule of thumb, the cable has 19 strands in seven bundles. Another one has 37 strands in six packages.
The most recent is synthetic winch rope. It is lightweight, weighing about 5 lbs and it is 120 feet tall.
It is stronger than a wire rope and contains 12 easy to splice strands. On the other hand, it is prone to chafing than wire rope.
The Winch Motors and Rated Line Pull or Winch Capacity
The winch power comes from mixing mechanical capability with tensile strength. The cable of a winch comprises three or four layers.
The first layer is one nearest to the drum and it establishes the rated size. It has the maximum pull but consists of the least gear ratio.
Get the Gross Weight of your jeep and multiply the GVW by 1.5 to establish or know whether the pull is adequate.
Winch Motors are available in two types – Permanent Magnet (PM) and Series Wound (SW).
The PM motors are cheaper and have low amps than that of the wound motors.
On the other hand, wound motors have an enormous duty series. But, wound motors don’t survive excessive temperatures.
The best features of planetary gear to consider are low cost, low weight, and compact size. Nearly all winches on the market today are planetary types.
Related Review: Best Jeep lift kit buying guide and reviews.
Synthetic Rope vs. Steel Cable – Which is Better?
- The Strength: In terms of Strength, the breaking strength of a synthetic rope is higher than that of a steel cable. Due to this higher breaking strength, the synthetic rope can carry or accommodate more heavy loads than its steel cable counterpart.
- The Ease of Use: Synthetic ropes are quite flexible, ensuring easier winching process and ease of use. Steel cable kinks and this makes spooling up on the drum correctly difficult.
- Maintenance: Synthetic rope needs regular maintenance because dirt and grains of sand can accumulate in its core. This doesn’t happen to the steel cable. Thus, the steel cable is easier to maintain.
- The Price: Synthetic cables are by far costlier than the steel cable. As a matter of fact, the price difference between them is wider than you can imagine.
- Safety: Unlike the steel cable, synthetic rope does not stock energy. As a result, it is not projectile, such as the steel cable if it breaks. But if steel cable breaks, it can harm severely.
- The Weight: Due to its lighter weight, the synthetic rope can float in mud water, but steel cable cannot. In fact, synthetic rope is four times lighter than the steel cable. With the lightweight of the synthetic rope, you can haul and free-spool your anchor point easily.
- Toughness: As far as durability is concerned, steel cables are studier than synthetic ropes. Careless handling of a synthetic rope can reduce its lifespan significantly.
- Weather Resistance: The strongest enemies of a synthetic rope are sunlight and heat. The UV light can cause the fibers to break down and weaken the rope, making it brittle. However, the strongest opponent of a steel cable is rust.
Now, which is better?
Synthetic Rope vs. Steel Cable, which is better, is a frequently asked question from customers. When it comes to choosing between the two for their winch, several off-road aficionados are divided.
But the fact is that when it comes to which is better between a synthetic rope and steel cable, it now depends on you. Irrespective of your choice, any of the two will do the job, once they are in good condition.
Consider the merits and demerits of both options and how you will use any of them before you make your final decision. Are you a wheeler type dedicated to preserving and caring for your rope?
This requires giving it thorough washing after your off-road trips and making sure you protect it and get it covered from direct sun.
Suggested Guide: Best Jeep Wrangler battery review and buyer’s guide.
Electric vs. Hydraulic Winch Which is Better?
- The Power Source: The motor of an electric winch is powered by electricity, which is stored in batteries to generate motion. It uses electricity to wind up and off the cable. The motor of hydraulic system uses hydraulic liquid normally stored under pressure to enable the motors to revolve.
- The Strength, Usage, and Installation: The hydraulic winch has more strength than an electric winch. But electric winch is easier to install than a hydraulic winch. In terms of usage, the hydraulic winch is used for big and heavy-duty jobs while the electric winch is used mostly by vehicle owners owing to its small design and lightweight.
- Maintenance: Electric winches require minimal maintenance while hydraulic winches necessitate more maintenance to keep them working at full capacity.
- Cost: Hydraulic winches are more expensive than electric winches because they come with additional gadgets such as the pipe, hydraulic motor, fittings, and some other components that will guarantee their utmost performance and effective functioning. Hydraulic winch costs about 5 to 10 times more than electric winch.
- Durability: The hydraulic winches are more durable and have more strength than an electric-powered winch. However, you need to install certain extra equipment such as hydraulic pipes, motor, and fittings. As a result, it needs more maintenance than electric winches.
- The Performance: Hydraulic winches don’t need powerful batteries to function as the electric winches. Moreover, the hydraulic winch can pull harder for a very long period without overheating, unlike an electric winch of the same size.
- Weather Resistance: The hydraulic winches are far superior to electrical winches when used in cold climates.
Related Guideline: Check out this guide to read about must-haves accessories for travel trailer.
Hydraulic Vs Electric Winch: Which one to Use?
Both electric and hydraulic winches have their particular strengths and weaknesses. In fact, when it comes to functioning and effectiveness, both of them are useful. Before you make your choice between the two of them, know their function, limitations, and differences. This will go a long way in helping your decision on the most suitable one for your needs.
If all you are looking for is a light use and affordable winch, electric-powered type of winch is your best choice. On the other hand, the hydraulic winch will be a better alternative, if you want in a winch is sturdiness and durability.
In addition, the electric winch will be a better option for you than the hydraulic type if you are an off-roader because it is not certain that your jeep will be operating all the time, even as you drove down in the mud!
What pound winch should I get for jeep?
Deciding on the pound you should get for your jeep begins with figuring out how you plan to use it. On the other hand, you have to determine the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), which is inscribed on the riveted metal tag on your driver side of your car door.
Add almost 30% to your GVW once you have decided on how much winch you will need. But note that when it comes to winches, the bigger the winch the better.
Here are the winch pounds for different vehicles.
- For a 1983 Toyota pickup truck with 4,800 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound is 8,000.
- For a 2009 Toyota 4Runner having 5,330 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound is 8,000.
- For a 2017 Jeep Four Door Wrangler Rubicon with 5,000 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound is 8,000.
- For a 2017 Jeep Four Door Wrangler Rubicon with 5,600 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound is 9,500.
- For a 2008 Ford F250 Supercab 4×4 model with 10,000 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound is 15,000.
- For a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser with 5,570 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound you will need is 15,000.
- For a 2017 Tacoma with 5,600 pounds GVW, the suitable winch pound required is 9, 500 lbs.
- For a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 5,350 pound GVW, the suitable winch pound is 8,000.
What is a Winch Used For?
If you are going off the road frequently, then winches should be an indispensable tool in your truck arsenal.
As a matter of fact, winches will do more than you can even imagine. For example, a winch can make it easier to load your UTV and ATV onto a trainer.
Moreover, it will help to pull out extremely stubborn tree stumps.
In addition, a winch can aid in getting your truck out of a troublesome ditch if it gets stuck.
Without a winch to help bail you out when your truck gets stuck, these issues become hard to tackle.
As a result, having a winch in your vehicle becomes very important, as it can easily save your life if you run into any problem.
On the other hand, it helps in pulling out a Jeep in when it gets stuck in a mud puddle or a hole.
It is a good and useful tool for moving away barriers you may have on your way.
It also used to pull other troubled vehicles and connects other vehicles to go home at any time the Jeep comes across troubles.
What Size of Winch Do I Need for My Jeep?
Apart from deciding all the features on a winch, knowing what size of winch you need for your Jeep or truck can be a bit difficult.
This is because winch ratings don’t really reveal everything regarding how much a winch can pull.
However, a weight rating is usually the highest capacity the winch will pull under optimal situations.
This is regarded as a straight or direct pull, with one single cable, one wrap on the drum, and the right electrical system.
The meaning of this is that your winch is particularly weaker – at times much weaker if your winch anchor is close and you have many winch lines on the drum.
Your winch is capable of pulling with its maximum strength at the initial wrap of the winch cable.
But you lose almost 10% of the pulling capacity with each extra wrap. (The loss differs based on a few factors).Some Ideal size-range Recommendations:
- For a Toyota Pickup Truck with GVWR of 4800 lbs, the minimum winch size should be 8000 lbs.
- For a Toyota 4Runner Jeep with GVWR of 5330 lbs, the minimum winch size should be 8000 lbs.
- For a Toyota Tacoma with GVWR of 5600 lbs, the minimum winch size is 9500 lbs.
- For a 4Door Wrangler Jeep with GVWR of 5600 lbs, the minimum winch size should be 9500 lbs
In this review, each of the 10 winches that we have covered has been designed with their own distinctive features, benefits and have their own drawbacks. Therefore, you can make your decision on what is the best winch for the money based on your preferences, and what you actually want to use the winch for.